Monday 30 January 2012

6th Edition Leak comments and what sucks

Doing a google image search for bored found this little fella, from an article complaining about wargaming release strategies ... hmmm I'm not alone.
"Bored" search on Google.  It's an article from "6 inch move" complaining about boredom with GW release strategy ... Zoicks!

It's been a couple of weeks since I've read the 6th Edition 'leaked' PDF, and overall I'm just a bit well ... bored.

That's not to say this article will be boring ... I hope ... but all the hype, all the dev, all the expectations have all scuttled along to nothing.  This, combined with the latest release rumours (Dark Angels, CSM and 6th Edition for 2012) have done nothing to give me a buzz about the game.

To explain, I stopped playing 40k after BlogWars.  IT wasn't their fault per-se, but fighting three 'marine' armies in a day.  Losing 2/3rds of the time to Terminators, because I'd bought a 'mixed' guard list ... wasn't fun.  I packed away my 28mm models with a heavy heart. 

To be fair, Infinity has had mixed results for me.  I love the models, the game concept and the play style.  But it's got a steep learning curve and I haven't got enough games under my belt to bite into it.

Since then, the released armies haven't really filled me with hope, in fact the opposite.

The 6th Edition leak was the first 'spark' of interest.  It was quite exciting.  Now, unlike many, I DO believe the leak was a genuine GW document.  However, my gut was always that it was a WIP document.  This has been confirmed locally that this document was the one produced by the 'designers' given freedom ... before the 'editing' process entailed.  since locally for me includes Nottingham ... I'm inclined to agree.

Interestingly, you can see a lot of Flames, Infinity and Hordes influences in there.  Clearly the designers, if given freedom, are fully aware of the limitation of the GW system.  However, I think most of the interesting bits will be chopped out... afterall, accessibility is an important core value.

One that INFINITY might do well to listen to (as brilliant and clever as it is!)

So 6th Edition gave me a spark.  Rumours of Tau and Chaos Space Marines in 2012 got me properly excited.  That would mean that 3 out of 4 of my armies (sorry Tyranids) would be competitive.  This is a definite result!

Than further crushing rumour mill blow, as Tau gets pushed out in favour of an all-Spezz Marin 2012.

Boo.  Double boo.

So now I'm getting more and more bored of the over-hype around 40k.  The biggest problem is that GW seem to take a meteoric age to create ANYTHING.  I've already noted that Flames can produce inch thick codici for all forces on the eastern front ON THE SAME DAY!  That Hordes can poop out prettier models than 40k like a machinegun.  That infinity uses the internet for Wiki and auto army builder for your convenience... so overall, all this 'maneurve' with GW politicking leaves me cold.  It's boring.  The simple fact of the matter is that it isn't the rules, or the codici, or codex-creep, or Smurf-humping that gets me most depressed about the £100's of GW plastic sitting on my shelves.

It's the fact that everything at GW is measured out in glacial timescales.  Why does everything have to take soooooo long.  It's just retarded.

GW codici come out slower than films.  There's no urgency in GW.  You telling me LoTR's film take less effort than a 100 plastic model designs and a few new 8mm thick A4 books, someone's milking the employment cow methinks?

GW rules take forever to change.  We don't want change too quickly, but since they have Errata, can't they spend some effort on it ... I mean seriously.  There needs to be some decision making and fast, upper management get some bones in ya... no seriously, I mean come on!

GW models take forever to release... It's hard to copyright a new mini - when no-one's ever seen one?  Panic GW, panic!  OOOOOORRRR, pay a designer to 'design' a mini OR pay an artist to give you a 'vision' of the mini in the codex.  Copyright issue over.  Wow, that was hard.  Alternatively, start making them quicker?!?

Finally, Finecast is just funny in how shite it is.  I mean really - you expect us to pay more for snappable, non-covertable, highly dubious material ... profit and propoganda before value methinks.

LMMFAO .... wait ... repeat.  Ad infinitum, it's just dull.

I'll be over here, playing on-line game and tabletop games that actually work AND are fun to play (at the same time ... I know, shock horror)!

Oh and F**K my 'commitment' to the game.  I play wargames for kicks, not loyalty.  I'm already married, a good friend, a son and a twin - that's enough commitment for anyone, I have to keep sweet with plastic men?  "I'll get more out if I put more in" ... well I've put shed loads in and I'm  currently dissapointed, will that improve if I double my financial and time based commitment?!?

I doubt it.

Rant out.
blog comments powered by Disqus