Saturday 20 February 2010

Loving ImagineFX - Now I can start really painting.

Unbeknownst to some of you ... I've quite a background in oil painting (for the UK resident amongst you ... I got a A at A'level Art back in 1996...) and enjoy painting. The new bamboo pad I bought has rekindled the painting bug (especially useful when surrounded by small ankle biters ... after all, oil paints take weeks to dry ... sticky toddlersRus!)

So I've been playing at Art and artistry and doing some online work... an example of which is below...

Playing around with the oil paints in painter...

Then, TODAY... I discovered a magazine at the local newsagents, and I'm totally fixed. I struggle to justify the expense of magazines in the age of the internet, however ImagineFX is well worth a look. Something that you can read at length, be inspired and astounded by ... and thats even before you open the videos and blow by blow painter and photoshop masterclasses on their 'every issue' DVDs.

Truly brilliant, I've learnt more in one night than I'd ever thought of before. They get you thinking about brush types, layers, colours, lighting layers, character layers, superlayering layers and the ultimate layers and layers within layers....

It's pretty cool. If you love DeviantArt or Loveminiornot... Check out the scifi and fantasy dedicated art magazine: ImagineFX ... loveliness.

As a dedication to the what I've learnt, I've produced the above duplicity ... to be refined but definitely inspired... it's a moment that The Ciaphas Cain novel nail, Necrons discovered...

This picture's got about 10 layers, depth light and everything... think this picture, but ten times the work ... and you're about there.