Tuesday 15 December 2009

Painting Update - Stuff left to do before January 16th

BASING

Painting is definitely entering it's final stages ... with 4500pts of Imperial Guard built and painted, there's only a long laborious basing project to undertake, to 'finish' the models off. I'm not a big fan of basing ... its tiresome and boring ... but I believe that those that don't base are just those that don't paint under another guise.

Basing a model is like framing your portrait correctly - it finishes the piece and a bad job can ruin one. That said, I've also seen some awesome (and very time consuming basing) ... considering I have probably 160 models to base ... any suggestions people?

PAINTING

Firstly, the least painted army (the nids) are in a hiatus awaiting the new codex. I've already seen the Mawloc, Ravenors and Gargoyles in the flesh and they are beautiful (well in that ugly way) ... I've painted up nearly all the hormagaunts, termagaunts and genestealers ... I think I'll wait on the Warriors until I've got a better idea over weaponry.

So the Imperial Guard are finished. I painted up the 'commissar lord' on Saturday (he subsequently died tragically due to an overabundance of gatling fire from a stomper. 57 hits on the 31 man squad left 8 standing, 44 hits on the 6 man command squad killed everyone, obviously).

So the target is to complete the Tau before the Nid Codex arrives. I finished the last of the firewarriors in my Tau force yesterday. This means I have the following completed:
  • 36 Firewarriors
  • 12 Kroot, 2 Kroot Hounds and a Shaper
  • 6 XV25 and 3 XV15 Stealthsuits
  • Ethereal
  • 1 Broadside
  • 2 Devilfish
The below models need completion:
  • 5 Crisis Suits need repainting and magnetising ... weapons choices a go go!
  • 2 Broadsides need painting
  • 2 Hammerhead/Skyrays need painting
  • 5 Gundrones need painting
  • 1 Markerdrone needs building and painting
Well that's achievable isn't it?!? I've already got the Tank paint scheme sorted out, so they should go faster than the first - espaecially if I do them in a batch! The gundrones are up first though, and then I'll finish the Broadsides and Tank.

So a month to go and the cadre should be finished...

Time to buy a Piranha maybe?