Sunday 28 June 2009

INSPIRATION: W40k for the family!


By Suneokun.

This Saturday my in-laws again agreed to play a Warhammer game. After several extensive battles, I felt a change in format was in order. What I came up with, is what I like to call Gladitorial W40k. What I was trying to come up with was something on par to a 'classic' board game like Monopoly or Risk. The concept was based around the loose idea of playing a short game with many participants, maximising the 'carnage', their commitment to their little men (and thereby the interest in the game). The format I came up with was so successful that I think I'm gonna struggle to get them to play normal Warhammer for a while....

4+ players, 150 pts each. Selected troops were as follows:
  • 5 Tau Stealthsuits
  • 5 Combi-Plasma Sternguard
  • 1 Guard Platoon Command, 1 Infantry Squad and 1 Special Weapon Team (all with grenade launchers or flamers (5GL, 2 Flamers))
  • 7 Tau Firewarriors with Shas'Ui and 10 Kroot.
  • 1 Carnifex with Barbed Strangler, Spineback, ScyTals, Tail Mace and Tusks and +1 WS, +1 Wound.
It was great fun. My father in law got the stealth team in the centre and immediately tried to wipe out my Sternguard. The Mother-in-Law got the Carnifex and immediately went on a T-rex rampage dropping Devourer S8 templates on everyones heads. The combined arms of the Guard, Tau and Sternguard finally killed the Carnifex only for the Guard to rip into both the Tau and the Space Marines. My final Sternguard went down in a blaze of glory killing Guardsmen and 1 Firewarrior and 3 Kroot strode from the carnage with the Tau/Kroot victory.

I effectively ignored Leadership tests outside of close combat (and even then it had no effect) and everybody duked it out very nicely.

The game lasted a total of two hours. All in all a victorious invention and great fun!